With today's recipe we are going to propose a new way of picnicking. A nice simple salad with cheese naans, that you can dip in a refreshing sauce with pickled red onion.
Find the recipe in video on our instagram account:
See the video
Ingredients for about 4 people:
For the cheese naans:
- 500g flour
- One packet of baking powder
- A glass of lukewarm water
- One Greek yogurt
- A pinch of sugar
- Olive oil
- Laughing Cow cheese
Sauce for the naans :
- Mint leaves
- A bunch of coriander
- A clove of garlic
- A small green pepper
- Juice of one lime
- A dash of lemon
- A good dose of olive oil
- One large red onion
- A bowl of wine vinegar
- 4 good pinches of salt
- 4 good pinches of pepper
For the Greek salad:
- A nice bunch of grape tomatoes
- A nice cucumber
- One ripe avocado
- One or two red onions
- Half a block of feta cheese
- One lemon
- Olive oil
- Chilli pepper
The strawberry salad for dessert:
- A nice tray of strawberries
- Lemon juice
- Brown sugar
- Mint leaves
Let's get on with the preparation!
Preparation of the naans:
- In a bowl, put the flour, mix it with a large pinch of sugar.
- Pour the baking powder into the warm water and stir until the mixture is smooth.Add the Greek yogurt to the flour. Mix.
- Pour the water with the yeast and mix until you have a homogeneous dough.
- Finish the preparation with 2 tablespoons of olive oil. Mix well.
- Place a cloth over the bowl.
- Put the bowl in a turned off oven with a bowl of boiling water next to it and let it rise for 1 1/2 hours.
- Once the dough has risen, make small balls and roll them out into patties of whatever size you like.
- Spread every other patty with laughing cow cheese, then cover them with the patties without cheese.
- At the same time, heat some butter with a clove or two of garlic in a pan over high heat.
- Place your patties in the pan and let them cook until they are golden brown.
- Once golden, flip your patties and repeat.
Make the naan sauce:
- In a blender, place the herbs.
- Drizzle with a generous amount of olive oil.
- Add the juice of the lime.
- A drizzle of lemon.
- The clove of garlic
- The chilli, salt and pepper.
- Blend everything until you get the consistency you want.
Preparation of the pickled onions:
- Cut your onions in half, then cut them into thin strips.
- Place the slices in the wine vinegar, separating them.
- Sprinkle with salt and sugar.
- Mix well and let stand for an hour.
Preparation of the salad:
- Cut your grape tomatoes in 4, reserve them in a salad bowl with a good drizzle of olive oil and salt, let them marinate a little in their juice.
- Cut your cucumber in 4 lengthwise, then in 1 cm thick pieces. Add them to the salad bowl.
- Cut your avocado in 2, remove the skin and cut it into thin slices.
- Place them on top of what's already in the bowl. Drizzle with lemon, olive oil and a little salt.
- Repeat the onion step and sprinkle the slices over the salad.
- Cut the feta cheese block into equal-sized cubes and place them on top.
- Coarsely chop a good handful of cilantro and a few mint leaves. Sprinkle them over your salad.
- Finish seasoning with salt, pepper and chilli.
We present the salad in one of our Fruit bowls
Preparation of the strawberry salad:
- Cut the strawberries into quarters and place in a soup plate or salad bowl.
- Sprinkle with lemon juice.
- Sprinkle with brown sugar.
- Roll the mint leaves into a ball and chop into thin strips to sprinkle over the strawberries.
Presentation of your picnic
The whole point of a picnic is not to get bored. Take the salad with you in a large round serving dish (it's no more cumbersome than bringing a cake). Present your naans on a cake plate, the sauce that goes with them in a teacup or bowl. Lay out your tablecloth in a park, your garden or wherever you like, arrange your various dishes on it, and voilà, all you have to do is enjoy a pleasant afternoon in the sun.